28 Jun Meeting the Title 24 Solar Requirements for New Builds
California leads the nation in clean energy, and part of that success stems from new legislation regarding energy conservation. Under the Title 24 Building Standards Code, all new residential builds must now install solar panels. If you’re planning a new build, the solar experts at Energy Saving Pros can help you find an affordable solution that meets all of the Title 24 requirements.
Understanding the Title 24 Requirements
In 2020, California became the first state to require solar installations for all new builds, additions, and accessory dwelling units (ADUs). Part 6 of the Title 24 Building Standards Code requires all new low-rise builds to install photovoltaic (PV) panels that can generate an output greater than or equal to the amount of electricity that a home will consume in one year.
However, there are six types of exemptions:
- If there is limited unshaded roof space (less than 80 adjacent square feet) because of trees or nearby manmade structures, no PV is required.
- If there is inadequate space on the roof, you can install smaller PV panels with no less than 1.5 Watt DC per square foot of floor area.
- If there is insufficient roof space on a two-story building, PV production should be no less than 1.0 Watt DC per square foot of floor area.
- Similarly, three-story buildings with inadequate roof space can install smaller solar panels with no less than 0.8 Watt DC per square foot of floor area.
- Plans approved prior to January 1, 2020, the PV size can be accommodated by the effective annual solar access available.
- If a battery storage system is installed, the required PV sizes may be reduced by 25%.
Solar Panel Installation from Energy Saving Pros
At Energy Saving Pros, we customize every installation for maximum savings and optimum efficiency. Our experts understand all the Title 24 requirements and exceptions, and we can help you find a solar solution that meets the Building Standards Code and also fits your budget.
We offer customized loans with financing options of up to 25 years on all solar projects. Our energy consultants will work with you to design a solar power plan that meets your needs, fits your budget, and saves you money. Additional incentive funding is also available for qualifying ADUs.
Based in Sacramento, we understand the local climate and the unique needs of our Northern California community. We’re here to support you throughout the entire process. We do all the work ourselves—from pre-engineering to permits to installation, our team of experts will be with you all the way.
Is Your New Build Ready for Solar?
Energy Saving Pros can provide you with solar solutions that meet all the Title 24 requirements and won’t cost an arm and a leg. We offer solar panel installation, cleaning, maintenance, and repairs throughout Northern California, from Greater Sacramento to the East Bay. Our top priority is making sure you get the most affordable, most efficient solar array so you can start saving on your energy bills. Call 916-259-2501 to get a quote today!