22 Jan Just the Facts – Solar Energy
Solar panel installations are still a relatively new option for many homeowners, and some critics are capitalizing on this naiveté to perpetuate myths about solar panels. Here are some straight facts about solar energy panels and their installation to help you determine if they are a worthwhile investment for your home.
Busting Solar Energy Myths
If you’ve done any research into solar panels already, you might have heard the following statements somewhere online. However, they are all false or only partially true, at best.
- Solar panels don’t work in cold climates – Wrong. Most solar panels function at their best in cold, sunny climates.1 Cold temperatures increase conductivity, making electricity flow much more easily. Hotter temperatures can slow down the flow of electricity, reducing the amount of power panels can generate.
- Solar panels are restricted where I live – Not entirely true. Some state laws allow homeowners to install panels on their homes regardless of homeowner association rules. Permits are still required, but residents can submit a plan to their local jurisdiction to obtain one. You can also contact a local solar panel company, as they are generally experts at building codes and solar panel laws, to learn more about your state’s laws regarding solar panel installations.
- Solar panels require too much maintenance – Not necessarily. Most solar panels can last up to 40 years before requiring maintenance.2 Additionally, solar panel warranties typically guarantee annual inspections for the lifespan of a solar panel system. Although accumulated dust and debris on your panels can hinder energy efficiency up to 25 percent, these issues won’t damage your system beyond repair and can be easily cleaned off with a sponge and water. Panels should ideally be cleaned at least twice a year.
- Solar panel installations are too expensive for most homeowners – The installation is the most expensive aspect of solar panels, but once they’re installed, homeowners quickly reap the benefits, recouping the installation costs in as little as a year thanks to lower energy bills. Government incentive tax credits can also offset the cost of a solar panel installation by 30 percent. Also, solar panels can increase the value of your home up to $15,000 depending on the local market.
- Solar panels are loud – Residential solar systems emit very little noise, if any, as they have no moving mechanical parts. The inverter component can make a light humming noise, but it’s much quieter than air conditioning systems and only emits noise during the day when it’s absorbing energy.
- Solar panels require a tracking pivot system to follow the angle of the sun – The sun is a gargantuan presence in the sky, with sunlight reaching even the lowest mountain-obstructed valleys. Sunlight is most powerful between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. when the sun reaches its apex in the sky. During this time, sunlight falls equally on the Earth’s surface, meaning your solar panel will still receive the most powerful rays of energy if the panel is pointed in the general direction of the sun’s apex during those crucial hours.
Slash Your Energy Bills with Energy Saving Pros
Don’t let unfounded myths dissuade you from investing in solar – start saving money today by having your solar system professionally installed by the experts at Energy Saving Pros! We have a reputation for supplying Northern California with quality photovoltaic/solar panels and residential installation services, earning recognition from our customers as the “‘Best of the Best’ Electrical Contractor and Solar Installer” based on votes from more than 14,000 Readers of the Rocklin Placer Herald.
Our installers have been certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners and have the expertise necessary to install either ground or roof-mounted solar panels at your convenience. When you hire Energy Saving Pros, you can rest easy knowing your solar panels are being installed by careful, qualified hands. Contact us today to schedule a consultation!