Ductless vs. Ducted Air Conditioning: How to Choose
May 22, 2019
Choosing the right air conditioning system for your building may be difficult if you aren’t familiar with the different types of systems out there. The right system can make a substantial difference in the quality of life of those who use it. At Energy Saving Pros, we provide professional HVAC system installation services, and we would like to help you become better informed when weighing the pros and cons of a ducted air conditioning system versus a ductless air conditioning system.
What is a ducted air conditioning system?
As you might assume, a ducted air conditioning system has air ducts which consist of sheet metal pathways that travel throughout your structure carrying the cooler air. This type of system involves a central AC unit which cools the air, ducts which guide the air to its destination, and air vents which allow the air to enter a room.
What is a ductless air conditioning system?
Whereas a ducted system relies on a central source to cool your air, a ductless AC system utilizes multiple, smaller sources of cooling called “blowers,” or small air handlers. These blowers are installed throughout your building and remove the heat from each room. Each blower is able to cool the air with refrigerant that it receives via the ductless system.
Which option should I choose?
A ducted system is optimal for spaces that:
- Already have existing ducts
- Are higher in humidity (ductless systems cannot remove humidity)
- Could use better air flow (ductless does not circulate the air)
In addition, ducted systems cost less and are easier to maintain and may provide a better overall aesthetic look for your interiors.
A ductless system is a great solution for spaces that:
- Do not have enough room to install a duct system within its walls/ceilings
- Are new (adding a ductless system may be easier and cost less than having to replace or expand upon your current system)
- Are dusty (ducted systems circulate forced air, resulting in more dust)
- Need to be controlled separately (ductless systems allow each room to be tailored to a different temperature)
Air conditioning installation in Northern California
Our team at Energy Saving Pros provides professional, high-quality installation services for commercial and residential air conditioning units. Among the many reasons our clientele chooses us is that we guarantee our work. We will not subcontract your project to someone else. You will have our professional team of experienced technicians perform high quality work with excellent service. Contact us today and let the Energy Saving Pros team solve your AC needs.